Engineering Division Permits

Street Opening & Occupancy Permits

The City of Melrose imposes a Winter Moratorium for utility work in the right-of-way from November 15 until April 15 each year. No permits for water, sewer, gas or other services that take place in the public right of way will be issued during this time.

The Public Works Department requires that an opening and/or occupancy permit be applied for in the Engineering Division for all work within the public way (roadway or sidewalk area). Contractors must be appropriately insured and bonded to City Standards and must complete work and restore areas to city standards. The division maintains a listing of all contractors who are properly insured and bonded and whom have successfully completed work in Melrose. Click here to access this list.

The Engineering Division has four permit application forms, please see requirements here, and click on appropriate link below for a fillable PDF:

  1. General construction (aka trench permit)
  2. Site work, larger utility projects, and soil exploration
  3. Stormwater
  4. Right-of-way Occupancy and Outdoor Dining

In addition, our fees have been revised, effective July 1, 2022. The Schedule of Fees and Water and Sewer Rates can be found here.

All Contractors and Residents should be aware that DIGSafe does not mark out municipal infrastructure. Please call the Engineering Division at 781-979-4172 for water, sewer and drain markout prior to ANY excavation.