City Clerk

The City Clerk’s office is the official record keeper for the City. Our mission is to maintain and protect these records in the best possible manner and serve the public by providing information in an efficient and timely manner. The City Clerk supports the City Council with meeting preparation, agenda creation, clerking their meetings and production of meeting minutes. Further the Clerk serves as a member of the Board of Registers of Voters and supervises the Election Administrator.  The office also serves as a link to the residents of the City by assisting with the annual city census and street listing.  Additionally, planning and zoning board cases and decisions are filed with the clerk's office. 

The City Clerk serves as the Records Access Officer (RAO) for all Public Records requests with the exception of – Fire, Police, DPW, Retirement Office and Schools, as they have a designated as RAO for these respective departments

The clerk's office holds City Vital Records (Birth, Death, & Marriage) dating back to the 1800s.

  • Vitals Records
  • Dog Licensing (online licensing available)
  • Business Registration and Certificates 
  • Licensing of Hackney/Taxi, Livery, Class I & II Motor Vehicles, Common Victualler, Secondhand Dealer, Fuel Storage
  • Claim forms
  • Planning Board/ ZBA Filings
    • Document filings
    • Decisions and Appeal recordings
  • Public Meeting postings
  • Raffle and Bazaar Permits

We also provide:

  • Elections Support (Voter information/registration/absentee ballots/campaign finance)
  • Marriages in city hall (please call for further details - 781-979-4113)
  • Oaths for appointees to public office or multiple member bodies.


For Birth Records - you will need the date of the birth and the first/last name of the person.

Birth Records notes: If you were born in Melrose or if your Mother lived in Melrose at the time of your birth and request a file copy to city hall we can provide your birth record.  In some cases a birth record is restricted. There are many reasons for a restriction. If the record you are inquiring about is restricted you will need to provide identification for the restricted record (photo with your name at the time of the child’s birth). Only the people listed on a restricted record can receive a copy of the record or receive information about the record. However, we can accept a court order granting you the rights to the record (must be within 60 days and have an official seal).

For Death Records - please provide the date of the event and the first/last name of the person.  Death Record notes: If the cause of death on the death certificate is pending, it means that an autopsy needs to be performed. The Office of the Medical Examiner will send their findings once they are completed. Often it takes between 3-6 months to receive this information. 

For Marriage Licenses - If you filed your marriage intentions prior to your ceremony in Melrose, a copy will be on file.  For certified copies you will need the date of the event, the first/last name of Party A and Party B.  If you filed marriage intentions in another community, you will need to visit that community for a copy of your marriage license.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Kristin Foote City Clerk (781) 979-4116
Joanne Perperian Assistant City Clerk (781) 979-4115