State law requires a partnership or sole proprietorship using a trade name to file a business certificate (commonly known as “doing business as” or “DBA” certificate) in the community where their office is located. The certificate contains the name and address of the business and the names and residential addresses of all partners in the business.
To File a Business Certificate
You may obtain a Business Certificate form online or by calling, writing, or appearing in person at the City Clerk’s Office. Signatures of all partners must be notarized before filing will be accepted. If the business is being conducted from a home, an Occupancy Permit must be obtained from the Building Commissioner before filing the Business Certificate with the City Clerk’s Office.
The business certificate is valid for 4 years from the date of issue and the filing fee is $60.00.
- If the business address changes, the applicant should come into the City Clerk’s Office and file a change of address form; the fee is $15.00.
- If the business is discontinued, the applicant should file a discontinuation form; the fee is $15.00.
- If the ownership of the business changes, a new business certificate must be filed, with a fee of $60.00.
Fee Schedule for Various Licenses and Permits
|DBA Business Certificate|
|Gasoline and Fuel Storage||Varies – see application|
Per vehicle annual renewal
|Junk Dealer & Second Hand Dealer||$125.00|
|Motor Vehicle Class I and II||$100.00|
License and Permit Applications
- Application for Business Certificate
- Application for Common Victualler License
- Application for Gasoline/Fuel Storage
- Application for Hackney Carriage (Taxicab) License
- Application for Livery Car Service-Limousine License
- Application for Second Hand Dealer
- Application for Class I and Class II Motor Vehicle