The fee for filing your Notice of Intention of Marriage is $35.00; The City Clerk’s Office accepts cash, checks and money orders only, payable to the City of Melrose.
Monday – Thursday: 9 am – 3 pm
Friday by appointment only: 9 am – 11:30 am
Please call 781-979-4115 to schedule appointment
There is a 3 day statutory waiting period between the time the intention is filed and when the license may be issued. The intention may be filed no more than 60 days before the marriage is to take place. It will become void if not used within those 60 days.
Both parties to a proposed marriage must appear in the City Clerk’s Office to file a Notice of Intention of Marriage (except in cases where one person is in the military or is incarcerated).
Both parties must provide the following information:
- Name, Current Address, Birth Date, Birth City and State
- Social Security Number, Occupation
- Names of each party’s parents, their Birth City and State
- Intended date of marriage
- Name and address of church or facility
- Name and home address of officiator
- If a one day solemnizer is officiating, the City Clerk’s Office must receive a copy of the Solemnization Certificate ten (10) days before the marriage ceremony. It may be faxed to Susan or Ruth (781) 979-4149.
If One or Both of the Party is Under 18
You must go to court and obtain a court order to marry.
If the Wedding is Scheduled Less Than Three Days from the Date of the License Application
You must go to court and obtain a court order to waive the three-day waiting period.
No Residency Requirement
According to Massachusetts State Law there is no residency requirement for either party. You may file your Intentions in any City or Town in the Commonwealth. Where you file your Intention is where your license will be kept on file.
Marriage Certificates for persons who filed their Intention of Marriage in Melrose may be obtained in the City Clerk’s Office.
Obtain a copy in person:
Provide cash, check or money orders payable to the City of Melrose.
Fee: $18.00 per certified copy.
Obtain a copy by mail
- Send names and date of marriage
- Stamped self-addressed envelope
- A money order payable to the city of Melrose
- City Clerk’s Office
Melrose City Hall
562 Main Street
Melrose, MA 02176
- City Clerk’s Office
Fee: $23.00 per certified copy.
Records may also be obtained at
State Department of Vital Statistics
Registry of Vital Records and Statistics
150 Mt. Vernon Street, 1st Floor
Dorchester, MA 02125-3105
Tel: (617) 740-2606